Saturday, October 29, 2016

Oh, now I remember...

I couldn't figure out why I would have stuck a needlework project at the very back of a too-deep-to-actually-use cabinet.

Here's why:


This is one of those things that falls into the "what was I thinking" category. Tiny stitches. Black canvas. Not a pair of things that makes this project something that is easy for me to do. I see lots of light and several magnifying glasses in my future.

I've convinced myself that, just as in coloring, lines are merely suggestions. I'll probably do a few stitches here and there and see if it is fun or not.


The End of an Industry

The last producing sugar cane mill in Hawaii is going to close soon. The last mill about eight miles from our home.
Photo by Joanna Orpia
The tough part of it closing? The Pu'u'nene Sugar Mill was built in 1901. It employed 675 people until they started layoffs this year. Some families have worked in the mill since it opened. It's not a job, it's a way of life. It's painful to watch the confusion and fear in the worker's eyes as they re-train for other jobs. Much of their experience does not translate easily to other industries.

The best thing about it closing? No more cane burning. They would burn a field and then harvest the stalks that were left for processing. The smoke also billowed out of the stacks at the mill during processing as you can see in the above photo.



No one knows what's going to happen to the 36,000 acres of cane fields. Odds are they will mainly be used for agricultural purposes. (Although, I'm not sure I want to eat anything that they plant on land that's been abused for this long.)

I hope all is going well for you.




1 comment:

  1. That project should go off tot he thrift shop! Someone with under age 25 eyes can work it instead of you. I now find it so hard to stitch on black w black thread, even in the sunlight.

    Sad about the sugar mill. And its peo
    le.

    ReplyDelete