Monday, November 14, 2016

I'm proud to be a nerd...

I had a friend in first grade who teased me every Monday on library day.

The librarians loved me, though. They'd call each other over to the counter and have me perform like a trained seal.

My library card number was etched into my brain. My phone number wouldn't stick.

The library has always been a magical place to me. All those books. Your books as long as you took good care of them and returned them on time so the next person waiting for them could check them out.

Librarians at my local library are still impressed that I can recite my library card number without looking.



I borrow most of my books online now. They are easier to read and my local library is very small. I still enjoy typing my library card number into the log on screen by memory. And, as you can see, I still enjoy keeping my library card in my wallet.

Do you have a library card?





4 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, I have a card. We have a lovely library here. Go there very often. Have remarked to DH that one could spend countless hours in there just picking up books, wondering where they were read, who read them. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, fun! A fellow library person. I love walking the shelves and getting books I would never have found online. There's just something about "shelf" shopping.

    I hope you're having a great week. I wish we could go to the library together and then have tea.

    Aloha and thank you for visiting.

    Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! U ahven t been to the library since I got my Kindle. My town is famous" for its rude nasty library staff. Sad because I always loved the library, and shelf shopping. Last night tho I shelled out 30.oo for just two new book on Amazon, I see I must explore electronic borrowing ASAP. I do still have a library card tho, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I can't resist commenting on this one (grin). I spent my working days as a librarian and I'm sad to say that many of my one-time colleagues made me shake my head ... they loved books more than the people who read them.

    I loved my job ... finding answers to questions I'd never have asked myself, buying hundreds of books (with someone else's money) and then connecting those books with the people who would most love to read them. It was a joy.

    And library cards? I have three ... plus a Tex-share card that gives me access to any library I care to visit.

    Reading about someone who loves books and libraries always makes me proud of my one-time part in that most American of institutions.

    ReplyDelete