Tuesday, November 1, 2016

National Novel Writing Month 2016 begins...

I always feel like a little kid at Christmas waiting for midnight to arrive. No matter what else is going on in my life, I sit up and wait for November 1 to arrive.

I only write for a couple of hours, but those two hours set the tone for the rest of November.

That doesn't mean I'm focusing on reaching 50,000 words this NaNo. I know in my heart that a goal like that is setting myself up for disappointment if I don't make it, or additional stress that I absolutely do not need this year.

It means, however, that writing finds a front and center place in my life. No matter what else happens, I write a little each day.

The Writing Blips helped. They always make me go from posting every-so-often to posting on a daily basis. That's the secret to reaching whatever goal you have for NaNo. You, or at least I do, need to make continuous, daily word count to progress to march steadily towards you goal. (This is just the kind of sentence that flows from fingers with a direct connect to whatever part of the brain stores the words that pour out during NaNo.)

My NaNo characters for this year are revealing themselves one at a time. I don't usually pull in any real people, but this woman found a way into my paper electrons.

She is Delphine LaLaurie (1780 - 1849) of New Orleans. She was a Creole woman of dubious reputation.


Not only was she a well known New Orleans Creole socialite, but she was also a rumored to be a serial killer. I have no idea why she joined my NaNo characters this year. It ought to be fun to find out.


Also making an appearance in the heritage of one my main characters is Captain Auguste Duhaut-Cilly.


I have no idea what he's doing barging in on NaNo 2016, but I hope to find out.

I hope you're having a great week.


1 comment: