Tuesday, March 14, 2017

About the Ravioli quilt

The Ravioli quilt is actually called a puff quilt or a biscuit quilt. My understanding is that they have been around forever. I actually ran onto a picture by accident, and the difference of the quilt grabbed hold of me.

Did you ever see something like that? It's not your style. You'd never seek it out. But, you see it and it's got you.

I immediately saw bubbles in the water. Now I see ripples in the sea. Some people stuff the puffs quite full. I'm going to stuff them "some" and leave some of the "ripples" in. The colors are going to be random, but I'll try to avoid the same colors touching each other.

I'm calling my quilt a Ravioli quilt because my beloved partner said, "What are you going to do with fabric ravioli?" It cracked me up, so mine is a Ravioli quilt.

Here is a borrowed pic with a link to its original owner.

From Growing on Goofy:

I wrote and asked if it was OK to post this photo. Word was that it was OK. If that changes, I'll pull the pic down.

There are several ways to make the quilts. I think I've chosen an odd way, but we'll find out. Eventually.

Here's a link to a site from 2008 that actually showed a Clover tool for making puffs. There's a pic there that shows un-stuffed puffs.

I hope you're having a great start to the new week.


9 comments:

  1. I love the one that has the folded petals, like origami...I ''see'' it in antique Japanese indigo fabrics. Yours will be wonderful, so perfect for those chilly Maui nites when the temp drops below 75*,LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding. It was in the mid-60s last night and I almost froze to death with two quilts and a wool, knit afghan. lol

      Delete
  2. Yes, I have seen this kind of quilt, it's lovely! However, I've never tried to make one. How it was done mystified me, plus it seemed highly work intensive. Kudos to you for deciding to do this. I think yours will be much more eye-catching with the colors you've chosen. Can you imagine how this will feel from underneath?! A little slice of heaven on earth, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. It's fun to have someone else "see" the quilt. I appreciate you visiting.

      Hunter

      Delete
  3. thanks so much for the information about this quilt-anxious to see how yours turns out I think it will wonderful to sleep under

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. And thank you for visiting.

      Hunter

      Delete
  4. Hunter, I recently came across a pattern for the puffs. Looks intriguing. Someday? Yes, I agree about things speaking to you even if its out of your comfort zone or customary like or style. Along the way, I acquired a small scrap bag of batiks. I usually do not gravitate towards batiks, even tho they truly are pretty. Civil War repro fabrics are what I am drawn to hands down; however, as I removed the scraps from the bag and ironed them, visions of a table runner or mug rugs began to take shape in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually used reproduction and "old" pattern fabrics on my 70+ Dear Jane squares. It was fun to use something different, but by the time I stopped I was kind of glad. lol.

      Thank you so much for visiting. I always enjoy my visits to your blog.

      Aloha,
      Hunter

      Delete
  5. I love that 'ravioli' is the name that has stuck and intrigued to see how your version will end up.

    ReplyDelete