Saturday, March 4, 2017

Learning new stitches...

A very long time ago, I knit lace like this:
If a pattern was new or complicated, I would practice the stitch on worsted weight yarn and bigger needles. It was then much easier to switch to lace weight thread.


I'm trying to learn how make Close Fly Stitch Flowers by Shagufta Fyms.


At first, I jumped right in to sew a flower on my blank, new project:
I don't know if you can tell, but I have a very nice collection of holes where I took out the knotted stitches. I won't show you the second place I tried.

Then, remembering the idea of scrap yarn, I brought out an extra piece of cloth and tried again:
Closer, but still not right.

I tried no hoop next, but that didn't work for me.

Another try:
Still not right, but a little closer.

Guess what I'll be doing this fine, Saturday afternoon.

With hope, by the next time we talk, I'll have something that will be even closer.

I hope you're having a great weekend.


11 comments:

  1. That lace is knitted?! Amazing, and very tiny. I knew a woman who made lace with many, many bobbins. I don't know what the process is called. Keep trying, knitting seems easier than watching what she did to make lace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha, Barbara. Bobbin lace is much harder than knitting lace. Bobbin lace is so intricate and it has so many "moving pieces."

      I'm getting closer to getting the flowers to turn out. I just need to practice, practice, and a little more practice.

      Thank you so much for visiting.

      Delete
  2. What a good idea, to practice with worsted. I ve always shied away from lace knitting but so admire it. I would like to knit lace pillow case edging, like my Swiss and French g g g grandmothers did.

    btw, I folded an origami ship! I was very proud,lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you have fun folding the ship? I'm going to try to fold one, too. I've done a lot of lace edgings. It's great fun! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
    2. No I didn t enjoy making the ship, I don t like things I don t understand. But as I make a few more, the light will dawn in my brain, and I ll enjoy having my little ships for the springtime beach.

      Delete
  3. This stitch is like feather stitching but done close together, does that help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd know a feather stitch if I tripped on it. Lol

      I'm actually stitching little flowers all over my watercolors. Not great flowers, but I'm having so much fun.

      Delete
  4. that last one is pretty-hope you got it just right now

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your knitted lace looks amazing! I hope you have mastered the stitches for your flower by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kaja, for visiting and the encouraging words. And thank you again for the inspiration.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely lace cloth. So dear.

    ReplyDelete