Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Does anyone remember the Duck and Cover drills in school?

Did you participate in the Duck and Cover drills in school?

For those of you who missed them, you didn't miss much.

The basic premise was that if there was an atomic bomb explosion, we were to get under our desks,  and cover up our heads and necks. Even at a very young age, it didn't seem that was going to help much.

We drug ourselves home last night after working 30 hours in 2 days. We plopped on the couch and noticed this:
Bill the Cat had figured out his own version of Duck and Cover.

We had a great laugh which felt really, really good.

It's funny how stuff like that happens. One of us must have pushed him off the couch without noticing...or Bill really does know the benefit of Duck and Cover.

Thank you for all your emails of support. We have help and support arriving Monday.

Aloha, and I hope you're having a great week.


4 comments:

  1. Yep ... remember them well growing up on Long Island. I checked out a library book once that advised building a shelter and was horrified when my mother said she'd rather die than survive an atomic bomb.

    And now I'm recalling nuclear fallout, too and being told not to eat snow ... which was sad since I had read the Laura Ingalls Wilder books and so wanted to try maple syrup snow candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the same thing and wanted to try it. I've never lived anywhere with snow, though, so I couldn't try it either. lol

      Hope you're having a great week.

      Aloha.

      Delete
  2. We never had those, though my mum remembers doing the same drill as a teacher in New Zealand, just for earthquakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely do remember those drills! I'm not sure I understood why we did them, we just did what we were told. It seems everyone needs help and support these days, Hunter. Be will, take good care.

    ReplyDelete