Sunday, April 2, 2017

I love my sewing machine...

I've only really used a sewing machine when I was forced to take Home Economics in 8th grade.

"Forced" being the key word.

No one wanted to use an old, "junky" sewing machine that someone had donated to the school. It was a very ancient Singer treadle sewing machine. Since no one wanted to use it, I spent a whole semester using it for several horrible sewing projects.

This is my machine:


I've had this sewing machine for several years, but never did much with it. It's a Brother XR-65T and I think I bought it in 2005. It's spent most of it's life buried in the back of the closet space under my stairs.

My friend told me to toss this and get a "decent" machine. But I thought, "What the heck. I already have this one."

Tonight I needed some alone time, so I headed up to my stress-free zone room and started playing. I was getting a little tired of making ravioli squares by hand.

Here's a quick summary of how it went:
  • Sew a side, take the square off the machine, pin the next side, repeat.
  • Wonder if I just shouldn't go back to doing them by hand since it was taking me so long to make one on the machine.
  • Pinning all four sides and poking myself as I tried to sew.
  • Deciding I wasn't going to kill myself if I started sewing faster than one stitch each minute.
  • Sewing over pins and trying to remember if that was good or bad.
  • Deciding it was bad when the needle hit a pin.
  • Giving up and sewing a ravioli without putting any pins in.
  • Ending up with only one ravioli that I'm actually going to have to rip and make again.
I have these:
This is one awful pic of 27 ravioli.

I only stopped because I ran out of muslin backing squares.

I'm glad I ran out because I'm really hungry and very thirsty.

But also very happy. I had so much fun and I'm in a much better frame of mind to face Monday.

I hope you have a great week.


7 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy your sewing machine even more-I always say there is a use and a place for everything-sometimes hand sewing is nicer, but then sometimes a sewing machine is too Have an awesome week-hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really needed a boost on the ravioli. I'll still work on them by hand since I'd rather sit with Dear Husband than sit upstairs.

      But I did need some alone time Sunday. It was nice to go up with no TV and sit and sew.

      Kind of the best of both worlds. lol

      Aloha and thanks for visiting.

      Hunter

      Delete
  2. Lol, I can relate to being bored. I also give in to sewing over pins, until I break the machine needle. Then I start pulling them out again. Machine swing exhausts me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally got to where I wasn't pinning at all. I only have to rip out one ravioli because I didn't keep the bottom layer and top layer together.

      Currently, if I think about the tucks (I have no idea if that's the right word) then the sides sneak apart.

      I was doing pretty well and the end, though.

      Thank you so much for visiting.

      Aloha,
      Hunter

      Delete
  3. I knew you could do it! Prob you don t need to pin, but it is okay to sew over pins set at right angle to the seamline. I still u se my old Brother machine most of the time, my newer Janome is very fussy and expensive to have fixed. You did great. I future consider supplying yourself w bottled water and some Triscuits for energy. Or--chocolate?
    Since the backings won t show you can use up an old ugly fabric there, instead of buying muslin.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like muslin. And I like looking at my ravioli with the backing matching all the different blues and greens.

      Also, I haven't bought fabric for 10 years, so this was a great excuse. lol

      Thanks for the kind words. I did abandon pinning and that's really easier and faster.

      Thank you for visiting. It's great to hear from you. And thank you, too, for your encouraging words.

      Hugs and nose smooches to Mo.

      Hunter

      Delete